How can I overcome a non-substantive office action?

Photo of Jan Buza

Written by Jan Buza

Co-founder of Trama

The steps to overcome a non-substantive trademark office action depend on the actual reasons raised by the examiner, but generally speaking:

  • For formal issues, such as a wrong domicile address, incorrect owner details, or a missing disclaimer, it's usually enough to correct the information online using a form suggested by the examiner, submitting a missing document, completing the payment, etc.
  • If your trademark application has been refused due to the submission of an improper specimen, you'll have to submit a substitute. Again, what this means will depend on the examiner's issues with the original specimen.
Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.