I'm not thinking to launch my business in the US as of now but maybe in the future. Should I still register the trademark there?

Photo of Jan Buza

Written by Jan Buza

Co-founder of Trama

In the US, you must prove that you are commercially active in the US market for your trademark to be fully registered. It is possible to apply beforehand using an "intent to use" application, but you'll still have to prove commercial activity within approximately a year after filing your application.

Therefore, consider filing in the US only if you are certain you will launch your services or start selling your goods within twelve months.

Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.