Can I respond to a trademark opposition myself?

Photo of Tomas Orsula

Written by Tomas Orsula

Senior Trademark Attorney

Generally, if you can register a trademark in a certain country yourself, you can also respond to trademark opposition. If you do not have a domicile address or an official business address in a given country, you are obliged to hire a legal representative who can represent you in the opposition proceedings.

Even though responding to opposition yourself might save you money, it is generally not recommended.

Hiring or consulting a legal professional will help you to respond to the opposition correctly, timely, and to meet all the requirements. After all, you don't want to lose your trademark application.

Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.