How can I raise an opposition against somebody else's trademark?

Photo of Igor Demcak

Written by Igor Demcak

Founder & Trademark Attorney

Practically speaking, you can raise an opposition against somebody else's trademark by submitting a corresponding form, either by post or online, depending on the IP office.

Bear in mind that in some jurisdictions, filing an opposition is subject to additional fees.

You can only oppose a mark during a set period during its registration process, called the opposition window. The length of the window depends on the country, but it is usually 2-3 months. Some jurisdictions allow requesting an extension if you would like to look into the case more carefully and decide whether you want to proceed with the opposition. However, extension requests typically cost extra as well.

Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.