I am a Canadian citizen and I want to trademark a name in the US. Can this be done?

Photo of Tomas Orsula

Written by Tomas Orsula

Senior Trademark Attorney

Yes, if you are from Canada, you can register a US trademark; however, you will have to have a US-licensed attorney file your application and represent you in front of the USPTO.

If you happened to file a Canadian trademark application within six months before the US filing, you can leverage the so-called 'priority right' and use the filing date of the Canadian application in your US application. This means that if your US application is successful, your protection in the US will start counting from an earlier date.

Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.